June is generally a month full of events and activities. School is out for most, if not, all. The warmer weather re-opens the door to new seasonal fun and family trips. It offers the official start of the summer; this year it was Monday, June 20, 2016. I really have a ‘thing’ for warm summer weather! We have already began to ‘up’ our grilling game at our house. So once a week, you’ll probably find something grilled on our table for dinner.
But in addition to the first day of summer, June also marks Social Media Day. In case, you haven’t heard, it takes place every year on June 30, 2016. Social Media Day was launched in 2010 by Mashable to recognize and celebrate social media’s impact on global communication. The impact of social media is incredible as it continues to grow and evolve each year. Social media helps connect people like no other medium. I remember beginning my own social media journey in 2008 and thought, at times, it was rather silly…because it was just so new and different. I also can recall others feeling the same way. Many thought that it was be a passing fad. I guess social media has proved many wrong and have converted even more. 🙂 Social media is used daily to help connect friends and family as well as businesses and consumers.
Kit Smith (@Kit_Smith) of Brandwatch compiled a detailed list of 96 Amazing Social Media Statistics and Facts for 2016 which are definitely worth a look. You can read his post for the entire list and sources. Here’s some stats that caught my attention:
- The internet has 3.17 billion users
- Internet users on average have 5.54 social media accounts
- There are 2.3 billion active social media users
- Facebook: 1.65 billion users
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day; 6 new profiles every second
- There are 40 million active small business Facebook Pages
- But only 2 million of those businesses pay for Facebook advertising
- Facebook now sees 8 billion average daily video views from 500 million users
- Twitter: 320 million users
- There are 500 million Tweets sent each day. That’s 6,000 Tweets every second
- YouTube: Over 1 billion users
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- On average, there are 1,000,000,000 mobile video views per day
- Instagram: 400 million users
- There are 400 million Monthly Active Users on Instagram
- Over 80 million photos are uploaded each day on Instagram
- LinkedIn: 300 million users
So, definitely reasons to celebrate. There are global meetups you can attend to commemorate Social Media Day 2016. Check out this list to see it there is one in your area. If you don’t plan on attending an event you can show your love by using the hashtag: #SMDay.
How will you be celebrating Social Media Day this year? What has been your social media journey, please share below.
Hey there! Thanks for reading this post. I am the principal of A Virtual Blessing specializing in social media management for Christian entrepreneurs and coaches. I've been providing virtual business support since 2008. Don't forget to chime in with your comments or share this post if you found it helpful.